Becoming gluten free prompted many changes in my life. While it may seem trivial, I was unfairly forced to ingest itty bitty tortillas. Gone were the days when my dinner description included the words “quesadilla the size of your head”. Now I know you are asking yourself the (totally valid) question: “Um, hello Maureen, traditional gluten free corn tortillas are six inches in diameter. That’s not itty bitty, that’s portion control!” And to answer your question: Sometimes I want a quesadilla the size of Sputnik! Then I discovered (BIG!) Brown Rice Tortillas in my local Trader Joe’s refrigerated section. Before I share with you my humble opinion, I must admit to missing the lilliputian-sized corn tortillas so much that I have returned them to my refrigerator. Sometimes bigger isn’t always better. Well, unless we’re speaking about quantities of bacon or chocolate, but that’s another post entirely.
- BIG BIG BIG tortillas!
- Works well for quesadillas.
- Reasonably priced at $2.49 for six 10-inch tortillas (vs $1.50 for ten 6-inch corn tortillas).
- Do not come frozen (therefore avoiding severing a digit or two while trying to separate a solidified tortilla mass).
- Very chewy texture. Borderline rubbery.
- Not your best option for a wrap-type sandwich (easily broke when folded).